Intellectual and Developmental Disability Services

Getting Help:

If you or your loved one has a diagnosis of an Intellectual or Developmental Disability (IDD), we can help you with getting services for both adults and children.  Depending on your needs, there are several services available in the surrounding counties of Brewster, Culberson, Ector, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Midland, Pecos and Presidio. If you do not know if you have a diagnoses of IDD, we will help to determine your eligibility at no charge. 

An intellectual disability, formerly known as mental retardation, indicates below average intellectual functioning, which affects judgment, reasoning and academic learning. There are many qualifying developmental disabilities including: epilepsy, cerebral palsy, and autism.

If you are interested in the process, please call our Continuity of Care Specialist to schedule a meeting.   Our Continuity of Care office is the first place you will need to go to get information about services, eligibility requirements, arranging for assessments, requesting documents and other information that will help to determine how to best help you or your loved one.  You can contact our office in Odessa at (432)580-2646 or in Midland at (432)570-3385. Just ask for help with signing up for services.

If you are eligible for services, we can connect you with specialized services including: personal assistance, transportation, day programming, respite and supported employment.  You may have heard the Texas’ community and residential services for individuals with IDD. These are an alternative to a state school. The wait to get admitted into one of these services can be a very long time because the waitlist is not just limited to the Permian Basin. The waiting list consists of individuals with an IDD across the entire state of Texas. Because of this, we recommend that you get placed on the statewide interest list as soon as possible, even before you need the services. We can help you get placed on the interest list and answer any questions you may have about it. 

For more information about IDD Authority Services, click here.

Getting what you need:

When you are entered into services with us, you will be assigned a Service Coordinator. Your Service Coordinator is there to help you achieve your dreams and goals for your life, to be an active member in your community, to develop friendships, to be independent and to have a happy life. Their job is to be a strong advocate to make sure that services provided to you meet all your needs.   

Service coordination is not just for adults.  It can help you from childhood through adulthood. Your Service Coordinator wants to help you develop a plan to address all areas of your life and will help you identify your needs and find the services and supports within your community or surrounding communities to meet those needs. 

Permian Basin Community Centers Services:

If you are on the State waiting list or choose not to receive State services, you can still receive other services. There are many service providers in the Permian Basin, including Permian Basin Community Centers. Some services that we can offer you include:

  • day services where you can participate in outings and activities with people your age
  • vocational training where you can work on landscaping and janitorial crews
  • behavior therapy for individuals with autism spectrum disorders or intense behavioral needs
  • employment assistance to find a job in the community
  • supported employment to keep a job in the community
  • transportation to and from some of these services

State of Texas Services:

If you were on the Texas waiting list and receive a program slot, you can now start receiving many different types of services while still continuing to get the services listed above. Some of the services you may qualify for include:

  • dental benefits if you are over 21 years old
  • adaptive aids, examples:
    • briefs
    • nutritional supplements
    • specialized medical supplies
    • lifts for your vehicle
    • hearing aids
  • minor home improvements, examples:
    • ramps
    • modifications to your bathroom and kitchen
  • residential options that include:
    • assistance to live in your own home
    • options for your family or another person of your choosing to get paid to assist you in your home or their home
    • options to live in a home of your choice in the community with 3 or 4 other individuals, with staff to assist you in running your home

In order to get a program slow for these State of Texas services listed above, you must first be added to the state waiting list. Program slots are limited by the State, so the sooner you see us to get put on the list, the better. We can’t wait to meet you and help you be your best you.

Click here for more information about PermiaCare provided services.

A Crisis Intervention Specialist is available to identify and assist individuals in the community who are at risk of crisis.  PermiaCare is also able to provide crisis respite services to eligible individuals.