Frequently Asked Questions

All programs can be reached by calling:

Does PermiaCare have qualified professionals?

Yes, all professionals must meet rigorous credentialing requirements. Our staff includes psychiatrists and registered nurses, as well as many licensed counselors and other professionals. All staff receives extensive pre-service and ongoing training.

What is the difference between mental illness (MI) and intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD)?

Intellectual and developmental disabilities occur before the age of 18 and include a below-average IQ (under 70) and a lack of skills necessary for daily living. Mental illness can occur at any time and may be attributed to a chemical, biological, or environmental change in the person.

What are the Crisis Hotline hours of operation?

The Crisis Intervention/Suicide Prevention hotline is answered 24/7, 365 days a year. Call 1-844-420-3964 anytime.

Does a doctor have to refer for services?

No, anyone can make a referral for any PermiaCare service.

What other benefits could I qualify for?

PermiaCare has staff to assist you with benefit eligibility, including helping you apply for state and federal benefits.

What happens when my child turns 3 and ages out of the ECI program?

Prior to the child’s third birthday, ECI staff help the family plan for services and supports elsewhere (for example, the school district, Headstart, private therapy services, or other resources in the community).

Do you accept Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurance?

Yes, we accept insurance, Medicaid, and Medicare. We also provide services to those who are medically indigent on a sliding fee scale. In many cases, this allows for little to no cost to the client.

What if I can’t pay?

Service costs are determined using a sliding fee scale, allowing in many cases for little to no cost to the client. Clients are not denied services based on an inability to pay.

How do I get to see the doctor?

Visits with the doctor are scheduled after an applicant’s needs are assessed and the person is found to be eligible for services and in need of treatment.

How can I receive services?

Call us for a brief phone screening to see what services are available for you. We provide services under contracts with the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) to individuals with a mental illness and/or intellectual development disability identified as a priority population.

What if I can’t afford the medications?

The cost of medications can be covered if the assessment indicates no ability to pay. Others can be purchased through our Prescription Assistance Program at no or little cost.